Busy Night

At about 10:30 pm last night my radio went off, indicating I had a call. I had known it wouldn't be long since it had been a full week as of Thursday. We average a call a week around here, so I always try to mentally prepare myself for the surprise of the tone we get.

We were called to the scene of a fight. Address given. I called in letting the dispatcher know I was responding. I hadn't been in my car very long (on the way to the ambulance or directly to the scene simply based on who else responds and where the scene is in comparison to my home) when dispatch came back over the radio telling us to standby until the sheriff arrived. We had a short wait, and then we were allowed to enter the scene.

What we found out was there was a bar fight. Something about two young guys a girl (I think they liked her), and another guy who didn't seem to be as happy about the attention being given to the girl. The guy said something, got jumped by the two guys, who then got jumped by 4 guys. Anyway.....we had two that had been hurt and were still hanging around the place. Minor injuries all-in-all. Possible broken hand on one, broken toes on the other. Both had numerous lacerations, but all minor. One guy did say that he was choked until he passed out. There were no marks on his neck and all checked out fine.

Both men refused transport so we did our best to treat at the scene and advice them to go see a doctor and if anything got worse to call us back.

It was my "first fight" as an EMT. Having to wait until my scene was deemed safe by the cops was a little bit of an adrenaline rush. You never know what has happened until you get there, and you never know if it is completely safe (even with cops around).

By the time we were allowed to do our things and then filled out the proper paper work, it was almost 12:30 when I got home.

 I LOVE being an EMT. I reply the scene in my head and what we did. I think I am always looking for ways to improve patient care. Anyway, last time I looked at the clock, it was almost 1am.

My night was short when my radio toned out again at 3:00am. This time there is a sense of urgency, this can be simply because trying to find clothes, shoes, and everything else in the dark adds some stress, but the call came in as a diabetic emergency and patient possibly had a stroke. With a stroke, you have just a few hours to get the patient treatment if they hope to give medication to "reverse" the stroke. Also knowing it is diabetic in nature means this person could be close to slipping into a coma.

I was ready within around 5 minutes and out the door. I admittedly drove a little faster than I should have since wildlife is thick on the road at this time of night. Also, I'm just not as clear. I was in a deep sleep. It is a rude awakening to hear the radio tone. But I arrived safely! I think that not only am I praying about the call itself (as has become my ritual), but about my safety and driving as well.

I got to the ambulance as two other volunteers arrived as well. We were off. Luckily our new director who is a paramedic lives right next door to the scene and was able to go straight to the home to begin care.

When we arrived on scene it was clear this lady was SICK. I had been to her home before with the same type of emergency. Her blood glucose drops dangerously low. She is a "new" diabetic and is on medication, but they haven't quite figured out the proper levels or anything else. She is also working at seeing a dietitian, but that has been slow going. Last time, she was sick, but we were easily able to treat on scene and leave her shortly after we got some glucose into her. We waited to make sure she ate a meal and we were off. This time it was different.

When I got back to the bedroom, she was on oxygen, but very unresponsive. Her eyes open, but very distant, and she wasn't able to talk to us (or follow any commands). It took our whole crew to move her from the bed onto a stair chair (great for small tight spaces) and out to the cot waiting just outside the front door. We got her loaded, and KNEW we had to get this lady moving fast!

While they were trying to get her from the bedroom to the cot, I ran out and prepared the IV set-up. This entails spiking a bag of saline fluid, running the proper drip set (the tubing), picking out the correct "needle" size and getting the tape and everything ready. Then I ran back out to help load her onto the cot and into the rig.

We decided she was a priority 1 patient which means lights and sirens are appropriate. We need to move this patient quickly and without any major delays.

As we got her in the back of the rig, she was rapidly getting worse. She was having some problems breathing, and we knew that her brain would start "starving" without some glucose. She was slipping into a diabetic coma, and if there long enough, we wouldn't be able to bring her out of it.

My paramedic partner starting looking for an IV site. We needed at good vein that would support the large catheter we would need for the medication we HAD to give her. She was having problems finding a vein. She went for a smaller needle (catheter) size and hoped she would get that. She tried twice and was unable to get an IV started. Things were becoming urgent, and you could feel the tension building. We HAD to get an IV going, and we had to get it NOW.

I tied a tourniquet around her arm hoping to see a vein. I didn't see anything that looked promising, but we didn't have a choice. I had to try. With my equipment ready, and a very supportive team, I tried and was able to get an IV going. We made sure the line was "good" so we could push the medication. This medication is necrotic and will destroy tissue so a good line is imperative. It was a good line, and we started to push the medication.

Within about 30 seconds of pushing it, she woke up and was talking to us! It was amazing!!! It is the COOLEST drug ever because results are always the same. Sick patient is not sick within just seconds!

We got her to the hospital, and she needed another full dose and a meal before she was back to a normal glucose level. She thanked us and shared what had happened and what she remembered. About that time, her husband walked in, and just kept hugging us! He was so grateful and almost in tears to see his wife sitting up talking.

We got home around 6:30 and I was in bed around 7 am. Jocelyn woke up calling my name around 7:30.  And I was up and getting ready for church around 10am.

As I went through my day today I thought about how awesome it is to be able to help people when they are in such deep need and their lives literally depend on us. It isn't a feeling of pride in myself, but more just a sense of awe being allowed to help people in times of need.

Don't forget to be thankful for each day you are given. You never know what hurdles you may face the next day! Count your blessings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kid 2.......

A hug is all it takes

I'm in a funk