Keto and weight loss

Good morning!  It's an amazing cold crisp morning today.  Snow and ice cover our side streets, but the interstate is pretty clear.  It is truly beautiful out with the snow and sun creating sparkles.  Now if only we could have this beauty with the temperature around 70!  HA

So today I wanted to share my weight loss journey over the last several months.  I've never been overly heavy, but have put on about 20 pounds over the last few years.  Because of my height, I'm lucky that even with that extra weight I still fall in the high, but normal BMI area of the charts.  I have been lucky or blessed or who knows, but my weight has been more bothersome than a critical issue.

That said, I was unhappy with the extra "pudge".  My stomach had a nice round appearance that very much reminded me of early pregnancy (maybe not SOOO early).  My thighs, well let's just be honest, my thighs showed some serious "hail damage" and caused my legs to look like sausages under my pants.  I also had some back fat going on.  All this is frustrating because it messes with your head when it comes to how you feel.

There was a period of time (not many of them by the way) when I was really into exercise.  It started off as a great way to deal with stress.  I would go out for a walk and then that became a job and then that became sprints.  As I started dropping weight I was then motivated to tone with weights and gym time.  But like all good things......it came to an end.  lol

This time around I lost my weight with diet.  Specifically using the Keto Diet.  What is keto?  It is a high fat, moderate protein and low/no carb diet.  I love it.  To be healthy you really need to stick to healthier fats- avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, MCT oil, and other healthy fats.  YES....I eat bacon (and lots of it), but really you should limit your intake of those foods.  You can eat meat and LOTS of that!  There isn't a meat that is off limits.  Woohoo!  And lots of green leafy veggies, as well as vegetables that grow ABOVE the ground, the best being broccoli and cauliflower.   What you can't have.....CARBS and sugar.  That means no bread or pasta or grains or potatoes and NO sugar.  You are supposed to limit things like starchy veggies and no real dairy.

It sounds restrictive, but it is really great.  I have had "cheat" days/weeks a few times and can say that it generally isn't worth it.  The whole goal is cause your body to go into ketosis and this will allow your body to use fat as fuel instead of sugar.  It's more complicated as far as the process goes than I'm wanting to explain here, but there are some really great YouTube videos that explain it brilliantly.

I have dropped around 25/30 pounds since starting October 1st 2018.  I did much better when I was strict and tracked my macros.  However, I do have pretty good ideas of what I can and can't eat.

We have a recipe site on FB that we post new recipes that we try and love.  You can look us up or let me know and I'll add you to the group.  It is keto recipes @trishaandemanuel


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kid 2.......

A hug is all it takes

I'm in a funk